Naan Bread Recipe without yeast
450g Strong white flour (bread flour)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
1 tsp salt
Optional - 2 tsp sesame seeds for topping or to make a garlic and coriander naan - add 3 - 4 finely chopped garlic cloves and 3 tbsp of finely chopped coriander at No 2 stage.
Lukewarm water and melted ghee or butter for the garnish
Makes 4 balti naans
1; Heat a mixing bowl in a warm oven.
2; Put all the ingredients (except water) into the mixing bowl
3; Add warm water little by little and work it into the flour carefully until it becomes a dough
4; Knead on a floured surface for at least 10 mins until the dough is smooth and feels elastic
5. Return the dough to the bowl and leave in a warm place for about 30mins. Cover with a damp tea towel or 2 layers of cling film to keep the dough moist.
6. When the dough has rested. Remove and knead again for a few mins.
7. Divide into 2 or 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a tear drop.
8. Preheat grill, cover the rack with silver foil and set to a midway position. Put the naan onto the foil and grill it. When it turns brown turn it over and brush the uncooked side with a little melted butter, place it back under the grill and cook until sizzling.
9. Serve immediately with fresh coriander sprinkled on top.
8oz unbleached flour (advises strong bread flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 oz fresh yeast (available in supermarkets often next to or nr the cakes and fresh breads)
4tbsp lukewarm milk
1 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
2-3 tsp melted butter for brushing
Sift salt and the flour together-cream yeast & milk-set aside for 15 mins. Add the milk/yeast mix to the veg oil,yoghurt & egg to the flour.Combine the mix with hands until forms soft dough.Add little more lukewarm water if dough too dry.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins. Return it to the bowl,cover and leave in warm place for around an hour/or doubled in size.
Pre heat oven to highest setting no lower than gas 8/230c/450F
Turn dough back out on floured surface-knead for 2 mins - divide into 3 equal pieces-roll into balls- roll out into tear drop shape.10 cms long 13cm wide 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Preheat grill/broiler to highest setting-.Meanwhile place the naan on preheated baking sheet-& bake for 3-4 mins or until puffed up.Remove from oven & place under grill for a few seconds until the top browns.Brush with melted butter or Ghee if you have and serve warm.